On 6/20/20 5:23 PM, nch via agora-discussion wrote:
> Moving this here because multiple subtopics in one thread was explicitly
> mentioned as an accessibility problem in the increasing off-topic
> "Leaving..." thread.
>
> First, I want to simply ask: Do you use IRC, and how often? Do you use
> Discord, and how often?
>
> Reducing the chatter in a-d by moving things to a chat based client
> seems like it'd have a lot of readability benefits.
>
> --
> nch
> Prime Minister, Webmastor, NAX Exchange Manager

Sorry Trigon, I received your thread basically asking the same thing at
the same time I sent this one. But I'm gonna pull PM and Webmastor
privilege and respond in my thread :p

I haven't used IRC in years, and I use Discord daily. I don't mind a
proprietary platform as long as we aren't locked to it, and if we're
just moving discussion there then we aren't. The big advantage is that
it has the most user share right now, which makes it a real
accessibility tool. If someone has to install and use a tool they've
never used before to ask basic questions, that doesn't add much usability.

The one thing Discord is missing that might sway me to a platform that
has it: The ability for anyone to export the entirety of the chat log
since the beginning. That'd make it easier to migrate if and when
discord gets replaced with The Next Big Thing. I don't know if any
alternatives have that either though.