On 6/20/2020 4:00 PM, nch via agora-discussion wrote:
> On 6/20/20 5:56 PM, Reuben Staley wrote:
>> I do, however, think setting up a chat client for discussion that runs
>> alongside a-d would be useful for many things, such as private
>> discussion of alliances, bugfixing on proposals and contacts with more
>> immediate feedback, and, rather importantly, introducing new players
>> to the rules in a less-formal environment.
>
> This is my thinking. I think Agora Discussion actually covers two
> different things: On-Stage Discussion where someone is addressing
> everyone or writing something lengthy worth of separate consideration,
> and off-stage discussion where what's being said is clarification, only
> directed at one person, or otherwise intended to be inconsequential to
> the overall flow of the game. It makes sense to put Off-Stage discussion
> on a platform that is better suited for it and leave the On-Stage things
> here.

Also, we found that when people start to get heated and snippy in email,
going to live chat they pretty much start laughing about it or emoting to
better convey tone and it diffuses things much more quickly than on email
(where if something is annoying you, you tend to dwell on it more while
composing a snarky or annoyed reply).