On 6/23/2020 1:34 PM, nch via agora-discussion wrote:
> On 6/23/20 3:21 PM, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 1:16 PM Jason Cobb via agora-discussion <
>> agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

>>> weird)
>>>

>>> Does this actually "Specify any other player or Agora to lose karma"? We
>>> have no idea who "Unspecified Behavior" is, so this arguably fails at
>>> "specifying" a player.
>>
>> I'm not sure about this, but here's a counter-argument. You have no clue
>> who Aris or ATMunn or Falsifian is either. You have more information about
>> them, such as their dates of registration. That being said, there's no
>> particular reason why the information you have attributed to those names
>> somehow makes those them Canonical Player Names with magical properties.
>> Unspecified Behavior is Unspecified Behavior, the same way I'm Aris and
>> ATMunn is ATMunn.
>>
>> -Aris
>
> Unspecified Behavior didn't argue that they are Unspecified Behavior (or
> even use that as a name). E argued that e is some existing player, which
> we know by a different name. That's slightly different.
>
> I agree with your conclusion for a different reason: Notice of Honour
> has to specify a player, but not in an unambiguous way (which is
> required from some other actions). Seems pretty clear that (if UB is a
> player) ATMunn did so.

H. Judge R. Lee recently wrote a really nice paragraph about "specify" on
its own to imply it means something, you know, specific, including
containing the notion of "clear":

https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?3819

and if we go waaay back the word "specify" on its own once didn't even
allow saying things like "all" for quantities (we never overturned that we
just forgot and/or loosened up).  But it's a thorough look at the meaning
of "specify" so honestly it's the most thorough look (and ended up being
the most restrictive interpretation):

https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?1307

-G.