On 6/30/20 8:45 PM, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:09 PM Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on a proposal to deal with hidden actions (such a G.'s burried
>> vote). It'll also handle cases where the identity of the player sending a
>> message is unclear. I'm done drafting the core, but I need to handle some
>> technical and confirming amendments; I should have a proto out in the next
>> day or two. Just letting everyone know so we avoid duplication of effort.
>

> A proto follows. Comments are, as always, welcome.
>
> -Aris
> ---
> Title: Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant
> Adoption index: 3.0
> Author: Aris
> Co-authors: nch, G., Jason
>

> Amend Rule 2202, "Ratification Without Objection", by deleting:
>
>   A public document is part (possibly all) of a public message.
>
> Amend Rule 478, "Fora", by changing the portion of the Rule from
> "A public message is a message" to the end to read as follows:
>
>   A public message is a message sent via a public forum, or sent to
>   all players and containing a clear designation of intent to be
>   public. A document is part (possibly all) of a message. To "publish" or
>   "announce" something is to send a public message whose body contains that
>   thing. To do something "publicly" is to do that thing within a public
>   message.
>
>   Where the rules define an action that a person CAN perform "by
>   announcement", that person performs that action by specifying the
>   action and announcing that e performs it, all unambiguously, clearly,
>   and without concealment.
>
>   A notice is a document specifying conspicuously and without obfuscation
>   all information which the rules require that type of notice to contain
>   to be valid. A notice must be public, unless otherwise specified by the
>   enabling rule. If someone accomplishes an action by sending
>   a notice, e accomplishes that action "by notice".

I think "by notice" may be too close to "with notice".

>   Any action performed by sending a message is performed at the time
>   date-stamped on that message. Actions in messages (including their contained
>   documents) are performed in the order they appear in the message, unless
>   otherwise specified. If an action in a message is being taken by someone
>   who has been a player within the last month, it must be clear, either
>   from the message itself or from context, which person is performing the
>   action; if it is not, the action is canceled.

This sees a bit problematic. For any new arbitrary person, we don't
certainly know that they weren't previously a person, so this creates
some uneeded ambiguity.

> Retitle Rule 2518 from "Determinacy" to "Safeguards".
>
> Amend Rule 2518, "Safeguards", by changing it to read in full:
>
>   1.  If something can be understood with reasonable effort, it is clear,
>       otherwise it is unclear.
>   2.  If something has multiple reasonable interpretations, it is ambiguous,
>       otherwise it is unambiguous.

I think this may be too broad because sometimes there are multiple
reasonable interpretation which may all agree or there may be clear
reasons to select one among the rest.

>   3.  If something has been hidden in such a way that a reasonable player
>       would have difficultly locating it, it is concealed, otherwise it is
>       unconcealed.
>   4.  If something stands out so as to be visible with little effort, it is
>       conspicuous, otherwise it is inconspicuous.
>   5.  If something has been rendered hard to understand at a glance,
>       it is obfuscated, otherwise it is unobfuscated.
>   6.  If a value CANNOT be reasonably determined (without circularity or
>       paradox) from information reasonably available, or if it
>       alternates indefinitely between values, then the value is
>       considered to be indeterminate, otherwise it is determinate.
>

> Amend Rule 208, "Resolving Agoran Decisions", by replacing:
>
>   The vote collector for an unresolved Agoran decision CAN resolve
>   it by announcement, indicating the outcome. If it was required to
>   be initiated, then e SHALL resolve it in a timely fashion after
>   the end of the voting period. To be valid, this announcement must
>   satisfy the following conditions:
>
>   1. It is published after the voting period has ended.
>
>   2. It clearly identifies the matter to be resolved.
>
>   3. It specifies the number of voters (or a list of the voters).
>      For these purposes and for determining quorum, a "voter" is
>      someone who submitted a ballot on the decision that was valid
>      when it was submitted and also valid (i.e. not withdrawn or
>      otherwise invalidated) at the end of the voting period.
>
>   4. It specifies the outcome, as described elsewhere, and, if there
>      was more than one valid option, provides a tally of the voters'
>      valid ballots.
>

> with:
>
>   The vote collector for an unresolved Agoran decision CAN resolve
>   it by notice. If it was required to be initiated, then e SHALL resolve
>   it in a timely fashion after the end of the voting period. To be valid,
>   this notice must satisfy the following conditions:
>
>     1. It is published after the voting period has ended.
>
>     2. It clearly identifies the matter to be resolved.
>
>     3. It specifies the number of voters (or a list of the voters).
>        For these purposes and for determining quorum, a "voter" is
>        someone who submitted a ballot on the decision that was valid
>        when it was submitted and also valid (i.e. not withdrawn or
>        otherwise invalidated) at the end of the voting period.
>
>     4. If there was more than one valid option, it provides a tally of the
>        voters' valid ballots.
>
>     5. It specifies the outcome, as described elsewhere, and indicates that
>        it resolves the decision as having that outcome.
>
> Amend Rule 2510, "Such is Karma", by replacing:
>   A player CAN publish a Notice of Honour. For a Notice of Honour
>   to be valid, it must:
> with:
>   A Notice of Honour is a type of notice, which any player CAN publish. To
>   be valid, it must:

Otherwise, I think that this is a good step forward.

--
----
Publius Scribonius Scholasticus, Herald, Referee, Tailor, Pirate