On 7/4/20 12:19 PM, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion wrote:

> On 7/3/2020 4:32 PM, omd via agora-business wrote:
>> - The ability to take away others' karma is removed.  I didn't want to do
>> this,
>>     since I think the 'balanced karma' system is a quite interesting
>> mechanic.
>>     But for karma transfers to feel cheap, I think you have to be able to
>> perform
>>     them without penalizing someone else, at least sometimes.
> After thinking on this a little overnight, I don't think it's good to
> remove negative karma.  I *do* think it's a good idea to go away from zero
> sum though.
>
> It's true that large % of the time I want to give positive karma and feel
> bad for having to find a zero-sum negative.  But there's a small
> percentage of the time when it's useful to be able to apply a social
> negative feedback that's "real" (e.g. it is recorded against someone so it
> is "heard") but isn't gamified (doesn't stop a person from winning or
> voting or anything).
>
> Without that relief valve I think we'll be more quick to point
> fingers/blot and get annoyed, because there won't be any other relief
> valve.  And finger-pointing is really an escalation.  It's not "I've made
> my minor point of disapproval and we can move on now"; fingerpointing
> suggests that the person has to defend themselves rather than saying
> "you're right my bad" and letting it pass.
>
> Also, karma should decay for everyone, much faster than it is.  Sometimes
> people end up down at say -4 when they make a single ill-advised move and
> several people get annoyed.  Fine, ding them and it's deserved - but when
> they're still at -4 six months later that's a problem, it lends itself to
> "no one will let me forget that so who cares if I'm down here" attitude.
>
> -G.

Quick proto that integrates negative karma into omd's idea:

Positive Karma and Negative Karma are currencies. [All the stuff omd had
about Karma but just for Positive Karma.] A player CAN by announcement
create Negative Karma in eir ownership and specify another player to
receive the same amount of Negative Karma. If a player has both Negative
and Positive Karma, an equal amount of both is automatically destroyed
such that e only has one type.

--
nch
Prime Minister, Webmastor, NAX Exchange Manager