On 2020-07-21 8:30 p.m., Gaelan Steele via agora-discussion wrote:

On Jul 21, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Falsifian via agora-business

On 2020-07-21 12:41 a.m., N. S. via agora-business wrote:
CFJ:after greg registered, there was one more player than there was before.

As Registrar, I'm assuming the sender of these emails is not an organism and
therefore not a person.

I think this would also mean G.'s finger-pointing was INEFFECTIVE so the
Referee NEED NOT respond to it.

(greg / "G", please correct me if I'm wrong.)

—
Falsifian

It's worth noting that every dictionary I checked left open the the possibility
of non-biological organisms.

That's interesting. I keep remembering Agora's definition of "person" as having the word "biological" in it; I guess that's a confabulation from associating "organism" with "biological".

Wiktionary: {
1. (biology) A discrete and complete living thing, such as animal, plant,
fungus or microorganism.
2. (by extension) Any complex thing with properties normally associated with
living things.
}

Google/Apple/Oxford: {
an individual animal, plant, or single-celled life form.
* a whole with interdependent parts, likened to a living being. "the upper strata of
the American social organism"
}

Dictionary.com: {
3. any organized body or system conceived of as analogous to a living being:
the governmental organism.
4. any complex thing or system having properties and functions determined not
only by the properties and relations of its individual parts, but by the
character of the whole that they compose and by the relations of the parts to
the whole.
}

Merriam-Webster: {
1 : a complex structure of interdependent and subordinate elements whose
relations and properties are largely determined by their function in the whole
"the nation is not merely the sum of individual citizens at any given time, but it
is a living organism, a mystical body … of which the individual is an ephemeral part"

2 : an individual constituted to carry on the activities of life by means of
parts or organs more or less separate in function but mutually dependent : a
living being
"a multicellular organism"
}
Even if there can be non-biological organisms, it would seem strange to me to apply the word to a bot like Greg. I don't think the above definitions really apply. E.g. "properties normally associated with living things" --- I guess the ability to send nonsensical emails is one property, but unless your setup is more elabourate than I imagined, I'm guessing Greg doesn't consume nutrients, grow or reproduce.

Maybe if Greg were part of an artificial life simulation, or controlled a physical robot that hunted for charging stations or something, it might quality...

(Maybe the "social organism" usage could be used to argue that a large group of people could be an Agoran person...?)

--
Falsifian