On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:10 PM Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> Here's my proposal that I've told you all so much about. I've left a
> few comments, but things should hopefully be pretty straightforward.
> It is quite possible things need some wordsmithing or adjustment.
> That's why this is a draft! I hope you all enjoy.
>
> -Aris
> ---
> Title: The Buoyant Economy
> Adoption index: 3.0
> Author: Aris
> Co-author(s): nix, Trigon, G., Jason

I've fixed the issues nix pointed out, as well as cleaning up my draft
and fixing a bunch of other minor stuff. This is a final draft before
I submit it.

-Aris
---
Title: The Buoyant Economy
Adoption index: 3.0
Author: Aris
Co-author(s): nix, Trigon, G., Jason, ATMunn

Enact a new power 1.0 rule, entitled "Buoyancy Control", with the following
text:
  The Total Buoyancy is a singleton integer switch, tracked by the
  the Treasuror in eir monthly report.

  The Treasuror CAN, by announcement, set the Total Buoyancy to a specified
  value approximately equal to the sum of all coin balances at a specified
  point within the first Eastman week of the current month. Whenever e does so,
  e SHALL endeavor to calculate the correct sum for eir chosen point. E
  SHALL set the Total Buoyancy once a month.

  The Treasuror CAN and MAY exercise reasonable judgement in calculating the
  Total Buoyancy. The Total Buoyancy will be deemed set so long as the value
  chosen by the Treasuror is not obviously and grossly incorrect. The Treasuror
  CAN and MAY set the Total Buoyancy more than once a month, but SHOULD NOT do
  so unless there is reason to believe eir previous setting of the value
  failed.

[The divisor, 2500, was selected based on some testing suggesting that
it would work well at meeting the dual goals of promoting social
mobility and keeping inflation manageable. We can tweak it later
as needed.

Re the term boatloads, which may be the best part of this, I want to
thank nix and G. for pointing me in the right direction, and most of all
Trigon for suggesting the term.]

Enact a new power 1.0 Rule entitled "Floating Rate Fleet", with the
following text:

  The Unit of Flotation is equal to 1/2500 times the Total Buoyancy,
  unrounded. A boatload of something is a quantity of that thing equal in
  count to the Unit of Floatation. When a quantity of assets is
  expressed in boatloads, it is rounded up to the nearest whole asset.

  The Floating Rate Schedule is part of the Treasuror's monthly report. It
  contains the Total Buoyancy, the Unit of Flotation, and the real value
  of every quantity in a rule or regulation expressed in boatloads. The
  Treasuror is ENCOURAGED to also consider including quantities in contracts.
  The Treasuror SHOULD publish the Floating Rate Schedule immediately after
  setting the Total Buoyancy.

  When taking an action, a person SHOULD expand all quantities expressed
  in boatloads.

[This means that the changes don't really take effect until the Treasuror
publishes the first Floating Rate Schedule.]
Set the Total Buoyancy to 2500.

[This incorporates Trigon's proto, "End monthly officer stipends".]

Amend Rule 2559 "Paydays" so it reads:
  Whenever a Payday occurs, each active player earns 10 boatloads of coins.

  The occurrence of Paydays is secured. At the beginning of each
  month, a Payday occurs.

# MINOR COIN CLEANUP THAT YOU CAN PROBABLY IGNORE

[There is literally no reason Agora should ever have any coins.]

Revoke all coins from Agora.

Amend Rule 2483, Economics, by changing

  "They can be owned by Agora, players, and contracts."

to read

  "They can only be owned by players, contracts, and the Lost and
  Found Department."

# TECHNICAL AND CONFORMING AMENDMENTS

Amend Rule 2496, "Rewards", by replacing each instance of "coins" with
"boatloads of coins".
Amend Rule 2499, "Welcome Packages", by replacing "coins" with "boatloads
of coins".
Amend Rule 2602, "Glitter", by replacing "coins" with "boatloads of coins".
Amend Rule 2631, "Charities", by replacing "coins" with "boatloads of coins".

[This one is phrased like this in case some version of ATMunn's birthday
proposal passes.]
Amend Rule 2585, "Birthday Gifts", by replacing each instance of "coins" with
"boatloads of coins".