On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 11:43 AM Yachay Wayllukuq via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> If I were to interpret the ruleset as strictly as I would like to, I
> believe that no rule change whatsoever has happened since the clause "Any
> ambiguity in the specification of a rule change causes that change to be
> void and without effect." was added to the game.
>
> I feel like the game culture specific to Agora is playing a large role in
> preventing that clause from pseudo-ossifying the game from not being able
> to make changes in a practical way unless we write hyper-eloquent yet at
> the same time, hyper-pedantic Proposals. If not straight up ossifying it.

One issue is that we've got a tug-of-war between approaching the rules
as a practical legal document that allows for some measure of
common-sense intent (which might interpret "any ambiguity" as "any
reasonable ambiguity" or "any practical/effective ambiguity") and the
computer programming/mathematical approach where "any" might mean "any
at all full stop".  The hybrid mix leads to some very weird outcomes,
where there's a surface level of hyper-precision - mainly because the
player base draws far more from the mathematical side than the legal
side in its expertise - but digging deeper it all rests on some hazy
common-law common-sense applications to break out of logical loops
(hazy is not meant as 'bad' but more as 'flexible case-by-case
including intent, good-of-the-game, and so forth').  I think the
hybrid approach certainly contributes to the philosophical vigor of
the game, but the translation of that hybrid approach to
rules-lanugage is quite messy and it breaks down in very particular
ways, as you say.

-G.