On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 2:04 PM juan via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> 4st nomic via agora-discussion [2023-06-26 10:33]:
> > As herald, I have ultimate control over this process. If someone's
> > judgement is "preventative", then hopefully, that will be apparent from
> > their response, and I can respond with a nomination anyways.
>
> That is a terrible solution. I'd argue is even more of a problem. And
> despite having control over the process, it is not the Herald's place
> to determine the criteria.
>
> > A specified degree CAN be awarded by any player other than the
> > awardee, with 2 Agoran consent. It SHOULD only be awarded for the
> > publication of an original thesis of scholarly worth (including
> > qualify for a degree. The Herald SHOULD coordinate the peer-review
> > process and the awarding of degrees.
>
> The Herald is not even vested with any power. The only distinction
> between your office and every other player is that you have a positive
> encouragement to be proactive in *coordinating* peer-review.
>
> It is not up to the Herald to determine criteria for aproval. The rules
> already do it. And they demand “scholarly worth”, which can only be
> determined with plenty of time for analysis, congruent with the text's
> length and complexity.
>
> In any case, if the thesis *can't* be evaluated in a week, the default
> should be to throw it out for being badly written, not accepting it.
>
> > Thesises have not be rewarded in a long time, nor really even *attempted*
> > to, and I find this to be wrong. In an effort to make the game easier and
> > more approachable, I am planning to err on the side of the submitter.
>
> This is not reasonable. If you want to make it easier, put work into
> designing easier criteria. That is a legislative prerogative. Besides, if
> thesis are not attempted, I guarantee you can think of better strategies
> for encouraging it.
>
> For peer-review, quality should be above anything else. Otherwise,
> it is irrelevant and performative.
>
> --
> juan

(I have something I ask of all players after this)
To respond to Juan:
With regard to quality: This was considered a B of Nomic:
https://agoranomic.org/Herald/theses/html/1995-XX-XX-elJefe.html

I am pushing back because standards have significantly increased,
considering the fact that this *is* (supposed to be) a game.
Note it's length and lack of sources.

Compare with
https://agoranomic.org/Herald/theses/html/2017-05-23-G..html
https://agoranomic.org/Herald/theses/html/2017-11-17-Alexis.html
Note their length and detail, and lack of sources. Both earned an A of
nomic.

Now compare with:
https://agoranomic.org/Herald/theses/html/2020-01-27-Aspen.html
and "Untitled Set of Three Images" (https://agoranomic.org/Herald/theses/)
which both earned an A of Nomic Art.

There is no standard here, or if there is, it should be set lower once
again: this is a game, theses should be encouraged, and it's wild across
the board.
I'm sure there's a thesis waiting on the standards of theses.

Finally, as a game, this IS performative. This isn't some official
institution granting actual degrees. Agora is not accredited.

To all players:
This is why I'm pushing back on the standards: I don't see anything that
mentions what qualifies something for Associate,  but I would like help
identifying what I could do to make it easier. What language would you like
to see in the rules? What would make you, personally, attempt a thesis? (My
goal is that every player participates in this Agoran pastime.)
--
4ˢᵗ
Deputy Herald and Deputy Prime Minister