On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 5:45 PM ais523 via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2024-03-10 at 15:38 -0700, Edward Murphy via agora-discussion
> wrote:
> > If so, and if Kate indeed gained five Ribbons on 2023-08-31, and no
> > one else gained as many, then:
> >    * Only Kate's vote counted on any proposal resolved after 230.
> >    * Only Kate's support counted on any tabled action resolved after
> > 230.
> > which should have been enough for eir dictatorship to become
> > effective.
>
> What was quorum? If it ever got low enough for that to work, then there
> is something badly broken with the quorum rules and we need to revise
> them.
>
> --
> ais523

from Rule 2481 (Festival Restrictions) Power 3.1:

{
 While Agora's Festivity is nonzero, the following apply:

      2. Quorum for Agoran Decisions is equal to half the number of
         Festive players, rounded up;

}

Quorum was 1 if Festivity was 5, since Kate would be the only Festive
player. Except!

Rule 879/40 (Power=3)
Quorum

      Each Agoran decision has a quorum. This is a number set when the
      decision is created, and thereafter cannot be changed. When a
      person initiates an Agoran decision, that person SHALL state the
      quorum of that decision. However, incorrectly stating the quorum
      of a decision does not invalidate the initiation, nor does it
      actually change the quorum of the decision.

      The quorum that an Agoran decision gains as it is created can be
      defined by other rules of power 2 or greater. If no other rule
      defines the quorum of an Agoran decision, the quorum for that
      decision is equal to 2/3 of the number of voters on the referendum
      that had been most recently resolved at the time of that
      decision's initiation, the whole rounded to the nearest integer.

      As an exception to the previous paragraph, the minimum quorum of
      an Agoran decision is 2, or 1 if there are fewer than 2 players in
      the game. If the rules would attempt to set the quorum of an
      Agoran decision to less than the minimum quorum, it is set to the
      minimum instead.

It seems like because of Rule 879, Rule 2481 attempts to set quorum as 1,
but then it is set to 2 instead. This means if festivity was 5, all
distributions initiated would fail quorum.

--
snail