On Sun, 2024-05-05 at 21:38 +0200, Yachay Wayllukuq via agora-
discussion wrote:
> It's crazy to me how they've made a whole video game based on an
> Agoran subgame.

BF Joust escaped its origins as an Agoran subgame and became something
that received intermittent play for over seven years. I'm not sure
whether or not it counts as a video game (but the submissions were
moderated automatically by computer and we had visualisations for
seeing how the various competing warriors did, so it's a video game in
the sense of "a game played by interacting with a computer program that
provides graphical feedback").

You can see https://esolangs.org/wiki/BF_Joust_strategies for some of
the nonsense we came up with over the years. (The rules were slightly
different from the original ruleset that was run at Agora - the "flag
zero" victory condition was changed to require the flag to be at two
cycles rather than one, the tape was made shorter, and a command was
added to wait for one cycle. Competitions also started to be run
continuously, rather than in weekly batches, and with a draw being
counted as a draw rather than a double loss. But most of the rules are
still the same as in the Agoran original.)

For those who weren't active in 2008, here's how it looked at Agora:
https://www.mail-archive.com/agora-business@agoranomic.org/msg10766.html

--
ais523