On Sun, 2024-05-19 at 15:09 -0700, Edward Murphy via agora-discussion wrote:
> ais523 wrote:
>
> > particular, if a contract would be given a Rest (the equivalent of a
> > Blot), every member of the contract would be given a Rest instead.
>
> > the Insulator (equivalent of today's Referee) was required to report
> > the Fugitive status.
>
> For those wondering how "Rest" and "Insulator" fit together: the
> primary currencies at the time were Notes, tracked by the Conductor,
> whose author evidently had a shameless disregard for mixed metaphors.

It was quite a well-constructed series of interlocking puns (starting
with "Notes" = banknotes or musical notes; and if you did something
helpful to Agora you would be noted for it). It is possible that some
of these were fortunate coincidences rather than intentional. A Rest
had a value of -1 Note (originally, you could use a Note to cancel out
a Rest). I am surprised that puns on "ar-Rest-ed" weren't made more
often.

Incidentally, I vaguely remember that Notes and Ribbons were
descendants of the same system (i.e. originally a Ribbons win was
obtained via getting an ancestor-of-Notes from every possible source,
with the ancestors of Notes having ribbon-style colors rather than
musical pitches), although they had diverged somewhat before I started
playing and no longer matched up to each other. That economy ended up
being temporarily revived semi-recently under the Glitter system (which
was effectively an economic reward for doing something that would give
you a Ribbon).

--
ais523