>Hi
>
>I'm analysing fisheries data (number of fish caught per hour) and I have
some 0 values. When I log-trans I have to translate the values by hading
some value.

I guess you mean you have to do something arbitrary about the zeros before
the log transform. The delta distribution is a generalization of the
lognormal for the presence of zeros. See:
Pennington M. 1983. EFFICIENT ESTIMATORS OF ABUNDANCE FOR FISH AND PLANKTON
SURVEYS. Biometrics 39:281-286.
If you are interested, i have template worksheets that compute the
statistics from delta/lognormal distributions, including confidence bounds,
by using Land's theory of linear combinations of the normal mean and
variance.
You can speak in Spanish to me if you feel more comfortable.
Saludos
Rubén
http://webmail.udec.cl

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful