>Hi
>
>I was investigating my data and it is possible to identifie areas of zeros
on the outside limits of the distribution, so it can be possible to model
the spatial behaviour in two steps.

>My guess is that I can simple reduce the kriging area to leave the zero
area out.

>My doubt is how to model boundaries. I'm sure this is a common problem, so
if you can give me some references I'll look forward to find them.

>Thanks and regards
>
>EJ

Intrinsic geostatistics, the theory based on random functions, does not
allow for 'boundary effects'. There should be no interaction between the
random variable and its field (in practice, no decrease of density near the
borders). On the other hand, transitive geostatistics, the theory based on
purposive randomization, does allow for border effects and estimation of
boundaries, which may fall anywhere between zero and non-zero observations.
The difference between intrinsic and transitive geostatistics is as basic
as the difference between model-unbiased and design-unbiased statistical
inference.
See
Petitgas. 1993. Geostatistics for fish stock assessmens: a review and an
acoustic application. ICES J Mar Sci 50:285-298.
Petitgas and Lafont. 1997. EVA2: estimation variance. Version 2. A
geostatistical software on Windows 95 for the precision of fish stock
assessment surveys. ICES CM 1997/Y:22.

Rubén
http://webmail.udec.cl

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful