On 29/11/02 5:32 AM, "Digby Millikan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I was wondering if someone can tell me about statistical parameters,
> why standard deviation and variance is used as opposed to mean absolute
> deviation from the mean. It rings a bell that intergral calculus has

There are in fact situations where you might want to use the mean absolute
deviation from the mean (madogram) since any squared term would amplify the
effect of outliers or other extreme values on the spatial correlation
measure. For example, a range might be better defined from an inspection of
the madogram instead of the variogram.

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful