Isobel did not write the careless paragraph about the central limit theorem
(CLT) Don replied to, as pointed out by Digby. I wish to add something to
what Don said about the conditions under which the CLT applies, and that
people usually miss in considering the universality of the CLT. See below.

>> Let X_1,...., X_n be a sequence of independent,
>> identically distributed
>> random variables with common mean m and common
>> standard deviation
>>  sigma. Let Z_n  be defined as a normalized sum
>>
>> Z_n  =     [S_n  - m]/ (sigma/sqt root of n),
>> S_n   =   [Z_1
>> +.....+ X_n]/n
>>
>> S_n is the sample mean
>>
>> Let  F_n(z) be the cumulative probability
>> distribution function for Z_n
>> and let G(z) be the cumulative probability
>> distribution function for the
>> standard Normal,. Then   F_n(z) --> G(z)  as n
>> increases.
>>
>> Note two things about this statement, (1) the
>> theorem does not say how
>> "fast"  the cdf for Z_n approaches the standard
>> Normal, (2) the speed of
>> convergence depends on  z. Also the speed of
>> convergence depends on the
>> distribution type of the X_i's

Note also the sum operation. The CLT, more precisely called the Additive
CLT, applies to sums of pairwise independent random variables as n tends to
infinity. But if the operation is multiplication with equal-signed r.v.,
then convergence in distribution is towards the lognormal, not the normal.
It might well be that when considering natural phenomena, multiplicative
processes be more or equally common than additive ones, as we oftenly
observed skewed continuous data.
Rubén
http://webmail.udec.cl

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful