Hi Ulrich

I'm surprised we got mainly "pragmatic" answers to your question and
would have expected from statisticians and mathematicians more reactions
about a possible statistical heresy: the semivariogram model is fitted to an
experimental semivariogram which was obtained from a certain number of points.
To be mathematically correct in terms of the various hypotheses used, should
one not use a search neighbourhood that is equal to the one used to obtain the
semivariogram (frequently all points) ?

If one tries to obtain maps that are "realistic", I mean here maps created by
experts that have some additional knowledge about the investigated phenomenon,
one would most probably try to get rid of various problems that can be solved
by reducing the search radius or the number of neighbours . Pierre's reference
to the impact of the relative nugget effect on points that are located far
away is often a decisive one.

On the other hand, if the main objective is to compare various algorithms
(e.g. ordinary kriging versus indicator kriging, or indicator kriging versus
log-kriging) or kriging variances obtained by various models, I would imagine
that using a "no search" approach (all neighbours are used) would be the most
reasonable approach...

Just a few thoughts.

Gregoire

Ulrich Leopold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> What would you consider the most reliable ordinary kriging estimate? To
> use a local search neighbourhood (slightly bigger than the effective
> range) or set to global to include *all* data locations?
>

> Ulrich
>

> --
>
> Ulrich Leopold MSc.
>
> Department of Physical Geography
> Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
> Faculty of Science
> University of Amsterdam
> Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
> NL-1018WV Amsterdam
>
> Phone: +31-(0)20-525-7456 (7451 Secretary)
> Fax:   +31-(0)20-525-7431
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.frw.uva.nl/soil/Welcome.html
>
> Check us also out at:
> Netherlands Centre for Geo-ecological Research
> http://www.frw.uva.nl/icg
>

> --
any useful responses to your questions.

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful