On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 10:06, Gregoire Dubois wrote:

> I'm surprised we got mainly "pragmatic" answers to your question and
> would have expected from statisticians and mathematicians more reactions
> about a possible statistical heresy: the semivariogram model is fitted to an
> experimental semivariogram which was obtained from a certain number of points.
> To be mathematically correct in terms of the various hypotheses used, should
> one not use a search neighbourhood that is equal to the one used to obtain the
> semivariogram (frequently all points) ?

I agree. But then you need to model the experimental semivariogram for
all distances. Wouldn't this be a problem to find a reliable model fit?

> On the other hand, if the main objective is to compare various algorithms
> (e.g. ordinary kriging versus indicator kriging, or indicator kriging versus
> log-kriging) or kriging variances obtained by various models, I would imagine
> that using a "no search" approach (all neighbours are used) would be the most
> reasonable approach...

The objective is to compare different algorithms AND create a most
realistic map at the same time by using these algorithms. So I guess
there have to made some compromises. Probably cross-validation could
help if I use a sub set of the data set.

Ulrich

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful