On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Munroe, Darla K wrote:

> Look in any good analytical cartography textbook you can find - in
> discussion of symbolization, they should have the formula.

The original paper is "Error on Choroplethic Maps: Definitions,
Measurement, Reduction", G. F. Jenks & F. C. Caspall, Annals of the
Association of American Geographers 61 (2), pp. 217-244 (1971); it is in
JSTOR.

Roger Bivand
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful