Dear Steven,

A new term such as microgeostatistics is necessary only, when there is
something (mathematically) special with it.

Special features might be:

- The measurement locations might have a relevant error.

- It is no longer possible to measure a point or block, but you get weighted
means or maximum measurements in of a little area (e.g. of the size of a
measurement needle)

-  Stationarity might not be given any longer, and might not be necessary
since we get the same covariance structure for a large set of individual data
sets (you don't have many earths but many microorganisms and many
experimenting bowls)

- The location support might be the threedimensional mannifold-surface of e.g.
a  hair and not the in first order flat earth

- interpolation might not be the final goal, but an intermediate one leading
to the more complex question of local influences.

What does the list think is special about geostatistics applied to microscale
problems?

Best regards,
Gerald

>I'm working in
> microbial ecology and am interested in finding information about spatial
> analysis or interpolation at extremely small scales (millimeters, microns,
> etc.)., especially as related to survival and fitness of microorganisms.
> I've coined the term, "microgeostatistics" to describe this subject. I
> could be wrong, but it seems like there is comparatively little information
> on this general area.Any suggestions are
> greatly appreciated!
>Steven Rogers

Prof. Dr. K. Gerald v.d. Boogaart
Professor als Juniorprofessor für Statistik
http://www.math-inf.uni-greifswald.de/statistik/

office: Franz-Mehring-Str. 48, 1.Etage rechts
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone:  00+49 (0)3834/86-4621
fax:    00+49 (0)89-1488-293932 (Faxmail)
fax:    00+49 (0)3834/86-4615   (Institut)

paper-mail:
Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universität Greifswald
Institut für Mathematik und Informatik
Jahnstr. 15a
17487 Greifswald
Germany