From:   Glover, Tim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Fri 12/3/2004 3:15 PM
To:     Colin Badenhorst; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RE: [ai-geostats] F and T-test for samples drawn from the same p
Standard t-tests make two assumptions: 1. both data sets are normally
distributed; 2. they have approximately equal variance.  Test these
assumptions before applying a t-test. Violate these assumptions at your
own risk.  If you fail either assumption, you need to consider your
options, but probably should not use a plain-vanilla t-test.  You could
possibly use a data transform to "fix" the first assumption.  You might
have to use a modified t-test (such as Satterthwaite's modification) Or
you might consider a non-parametric approach, such as Mann-Whitney
U-test.

Tim Glover
Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
Geoenvironmental Department
MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
Office 770-421-3310