Title: RE: [ai-geostats] F and T-test for samples drawn from the same p
Besides the discussions on the theory, I think we need a practical solution for Colin Badenhorst's initial problem (This is not his problem only). He wants to compare two sets of spatial data with several thousand samples.

Spatial autocorrelation (or lack of independence) is a basic feature of spatial data, and thus we cannot do anything to ask spatial data to behave well to satisfy the statistical requirements. If your spatial data set is lack of spatial autocorrelation, you may be asked to go back and take more samples. The ideal way is perhaps to develop a t-test (or whatever test) for spatial data, something like "spatially weighted test". If such a test is not available, we have no choice, but have to use existing methods. They may not be exactly suitable to spatial data, but better than nothing.

For the time being, the best way to solve the problem is still to use statistical methods, but try to explain the results carefully and appropriately. We have to acknowledge the discrepancies between the basic feature of spatial data and possible statistical requirements. Meanwhile, when the sample size (well, going back to my initial concern) is large, you will always get the result of rejecting the null hypothesis for REAL data, no matter there is spatial dependence or not. In this case, what does such a result mean? I would like to say this result is not very meaningful, as it just proves the power of statistical tests. The simple ways of graphs (e.g., histogram, box-plot) and percentiles may become helpful for comparison.

Therefore, for Colin's initial problem, the solution is to explain the results properly, and maybe to try some other methods if available.

Cheers,

Chaosheng
Dr. Chaosheng Zhang
Lecturer in GIS