Jan Merks is an expert in sampling theory and works as
an independent consultant out of Vancouver, Canada. He
has a web site which I don't have to hand, where all
of these opinions are repeated and amplified.

Jan first starting publishing anti-geostatistics
articles in 1991 or 1992 and the article
"Geostatistics or Voodoo Statistics" appeared in every
mining publication from the Engineering and Mining
Journal to the Northern Miner newspaper. He
republishes every so often and had one a few years ago
in the Mining Journal on April 1st.

The articles start with a quotation from Tolstoy to
the effect that even the most intelligent of people
can turn a blind eye to facts that don't fit their own
world view. It is ironic that he does not realise this
quotation is apropriate to his own world view too.

His basic premise is that geostatistics is a con job
foisted on an unsuspecting industry by consultants
trying to rip them off for large sums of money. He
supports this view by pointing out that the
semi-variogram is divided by the number of pairs of
samples (N) and not by N-1 when every statistician
knows that variances are divided by N-1 not N. The
point missed here is that variances are divided by N-1
because we estimate the population mean.
Semi-variograms are not divided by N-1 because we
assume the population mean (difference) to be zeto and
do not estimate it.

His second point is that kriging with (say) k samples
should have k-1 degrees of freedom. This is not true
becuase the variance/covariance or semi-variogram
terms used in the kriging system are based on the
total number of pairs used in the construction of the
graph. I once asked Noel Cressie about this and he
said that the degrees of freedom in the kriging system
would be n(n-1) where n is the total number of samples
in the data set.

Back in 1992, I invited Dr Merks to come down to a
course I was giving in Reno to put his point of view
and debate it with myself and the students and staff
at University of Nevada-Reno. I still have his letter
on file. It basically says, I don't see the point you
aren't going to listen anyway.

Before you ask, the only reason I did this was because
his articles referred to only two geostatistical
publications: Michel David's Mining Geostatistics and
my Practical Geostatistics (1979). He also couldn't
spell my name right and I wanted to give him the
opportunity to change that. It was several years
before an editor pointed out to him that there is no
'e' on the end of "Isobel Clark".

Isobel
http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/practica.htm

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats