Hi,

I think this man just wants to get more attention by making some noise.

Geostatistics is the great contribution of geoscientists outside the
mainstream of statistics to the science. I also ever met a reviewer.
The guy never agree that parameters should estimated from correlated
data.

At the beginning of the development of kriging, I guess Professor G.
Matheron must met lots of challenges. As Professor Journel pointed out,
geostatistics does not pursue recognition of mainstream mathematics, it
pursues recognition from practioners. It is great because it is useful.
If just checking geostatistics purely from the view of conventional
mathematics, there are lots of places to attack.

But our understanding of geostatistics also should not stop on the
conventional geostatistics. Geostatistics is also evolving. The recent
proposed multi-point geostatistics is quite innovative. In addition,
Markov chains are also evolving toward a new non-kriging geostatistics.

Weidong Li
University of Wisconsin
Department of Geography
550 North Park Street