Recep

In classical statistics, your data have to satisfy the following two basic assumptions:

1. Identically Distributed (ID): This assumption implies that you can repeat the experiment infinite number of times UNDER the same condition(s).

2. Independent (I): The result of each experiment will be independent from previous and next trials.

Sometimes, statisticians refer to these two assumptions as IID assumptions.

Unfortunately, none of earth science data satisfies these two assumptions. One cannot measure rainfall at a single spatial point several times under the same condition(s). Even though, one may conceptualize the whole domain to be generated by a random function (i.e., a collection of random variables), one cannot characterize this random function as only ONE realization of this RF is available. As such, one has to imposed various assumptions such as isotropy, stationarity and ergodicity to be able to exit this dead end. You may want to refer to archieve (previous postings) to get more info. regarding your original enquiry. In short, replication has no meaning in earth science data because you cannot keep the situation for two experiments similar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Abedini