Hi,

I've been struggling for some time with a large scale application, trying
to find optimal JVM settings to address massive GC pauses.  The app will
process hundreds of GB of data (ultimately in the TB range), and employ as
many cores as possible on a single machine (currently 48, but will be 160
soon).  I have no problem using up all of the cores, all of the time.  This
doesn't really help me since I have this GC anvil around my neck.  I've
tried just about every combination of flags, but with not much success.  To
try to alleviate the problem of large GC pauses, I've employed an off-heap
cache for the data (MapDB).  This has helped a bit, but I'm coming to the
conclusion that the only way to crack this nut is to break the problem into
coarse granular units in separate JVMs, peg them to NUMA nodes, and
communicate between them.  Is this what others would recommend, or is there
a way to do something like this within a single JVM?  If I go the multi-JVM
route, what purpose would -XX:+UseNUMA serve?  For that matter, what
purpose does -XX:+UseNUMA serve now?...it doesn't really seem to do
anything.  Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bruce