Also Bruce - just food for thought, but you might want to make sure that
it's the GC causing all of this:

- you might have a non-deterministic memory leak - and when the process
runs out of memory, it can choke without crashing, as the GC takes over
desperately trying to free up memory
- you might have a deadlock - try doing a thread-dump

Some tools that might help:

- for investigating GC issues:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/share/jstat.html
- for doing a thread-dump: