I asked a somewhat similar question before but this time its more focused.

I have a hierarchy like so:

/project/users/user-<userid>

There is just one "project", one "users", and many user-<userid> actors.

If I want to send a message from a different actor out side of
this hierarchy to one or more users, for example from /project/someactor,
it seems to me I have 3 basic ways of doing it (forgetting about EventBus,
which is a fourth):

1. I always have an ActorRef for /project. I can send it a message which it
will forward to /project/users who will grab the correct actor from its
children collection and forward the message to it.

2. I can construct an ActorSelection from /project/someactor and send
message to the ActorSelection directly.

3. I can store in  /project/someactor in a HashMap or some other data
structure all the /project/users/user-<userid> ActorRef's, grab them from
the map when I need to send one a message and directly send a message to
the ActorRef

So, my questions are: what is the preferred way to communicate with an
actor in this case? Realizing that there might not be a preferred way -
what is a bad idea to do if any? What are the pros and cons that people see
in each way? Lastly, does anyone have a way I missed?

Thanks,
Chanan