I think whats being missed here is that Event Store doesn't only support
this on a single stream/topic.

Its very useful when building read models as example to be able to read
events from many streams (or all streams) joined in a way that gives global
ordering (if on a single replication group) or deterministic ordering
(historical) if on multiple replication groups.

As example you can imagine when writing you have 500,000 streams (one per
inventory item).
When building a projection you are interested in 5 event types:

InventoryItemCreated
InventoryItemAuditted
InventoryItemRenamed
InventoryCheckedIn
InvnetoryCheckedOut

Regardless of the initial stream they were written to. This is very common
in these types of systems.

Cheers,

Greg