This is something i've been wondering myself too.

In particular, I think there would be a LOT of potential awesome/benefit in
being able to integrate Rails with Akka; be it JVM akka using ruby/rails as
actors (since there tend to be a LOT more gem's published for random API's,
etc), or a Rails based application farming work off to a more powerful JVM
based backend for the heavy lifting.

I know I did stumble across an Akka/JRuby sort of hybrid, but as far as I
could tell (with about 2min of looking) it wasn't really a generic solution
to the problem.

Does anyone have a rough idea of what the complexity of looking into this
might be? It would be really useful to know (even at a high/rough level)
what the minimum requirements would be to implement a basic Actor that can
talk to an established system, and whereabouts in code/doco we'd need to
start looking to dig out the protocols/etc needing implementation.

My other thought in this regard (with absolutely no thought put into
practicality/whether it would actually work) is that there could be some
potential in cross compiling with something like LLVM.

- Glenn / devalias