It's been a while since i've looked into pi/etc, but from memory there were
arduino shields that you could add onto it, giving you the best of the
power of pi, with the better I/O support of arduino. Not sure how easy it
is to get going/cost/etc, but might fit your solution?

Alternately, I would probably look at the possibility of running an actor
on the closest 'powerful' node to your arduino, and then use a streamlined
process to communicate with it/watch it directly (a bit more complex, but
you would be able to stick to native arduino/etc)

/2c

- Glenn / devalias