Thanks Konrad. I wrote my question late at night so it probably didn't make
sense. What I was trying to get at was how to work out what functionality
to add to the database actors. In Jamie Allens book Effective
Akka http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028789.do he mentions actors
should be designed based on the single responsibility principle.
Unfortunately I found this a bit confusing. So after some googling I found
the following two links really useful

http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/srp.pdf

http://www.developerfusion.com/article/137636/taking-the-single-responsibility-principle-seriously/

I hope somebody else finds them useful.