Hi,

akka-persistence-testkit has no test for this case, it's an Akka cluster issue
as far as I can tell. Most use cases create snapshots based upon some kind of
counter variable every 100 of journal entries (persist calls) or so, to create
snapshot instances, thus changing the internal state, but when the state does
not change, the snapshot counter stays the same. One could however change the
state, and write snapshots explicitly, skipping the persist call to write
journal entries, but somehow this does not feel correct. To make the cluster
use case work, the jdbc plugin updates the snapshot entry from v1.0.6 on, and
this works, but again, this does not feel correct to me. The base concept of
event-sourcing is the journal, a change in state must be reflected in the
journal, and bypassing it feels wrong.

On a side note I would advice using Apache Cassandra and the
akka-persistence-cassandra plugin for cluster solutions so that the storage
backend has the same trait as akka-cluster, both distributed and scalable. The
jdbc plugin uses a blocking driver, and it would be easy to overload the
default-dispatcher when the load is very high on the node's Actor system.
Beware that Akka is no Application Server and it is tuned for non-blocking
operations only and the tuning of the default-dispatcher reflects this fact.
Akka is like a highly tuned Japanese sports car, and the AppServer is like a
1960's muscle car, both have their uses...

Cheers,

Dennis