I believe 50M messages per second on a single machine was mainly an example
for scaling up. See the kind of machine that was used for it
<http://letitcrash.com/post/20397701710/50-million-messages-per-second-on-a-single>
.

Anyway, have you tried doing the same analysis on the "legacy" driver?
It would be interesting to compare the parts related to actual IO.

There's one thing (which may not be helpful to your current questions about
Akka performance) that bothers me, but I may just be missing out on
something obvious here, so I'll just ask: if Mongo doesn't allow a
connection to handle more than one simultaneous request, how can any NBIO
implementation do much better than a BIO implementation? I mean the test
pretty much only does IO. It's not like we're using the extra free thread
to do any other CPU intensive work while waiting on Mongo, right?
Doesn't it mean you have to hold some sort of connection pool so you can
have more concurrent requests to Mongo in order to see any sort of benefit
from using NBIO (Akka or not)?
When I use Akka IO in my application I often have lots of concurrent
requests using the same socket.
They are of course kept serialized by Akka, but I can still have many
requests on the same connection.