Hi folex,
thanks for reporting.

Around that time this commit was merged into FSM
https://github.com/akka/akka/commit/2c88bb116903b42decb9d8063dc410325a9b9d29
which indeed changes semantics of `stay()` slightly (see documentation). It
changed when state transitions are triggered (the events).

I think there's a different inconsistency uncovered by your example
though...
When using `goto(currentState) forMax Duration.Inf` it was ignored (it
seems, didn't debug yet, just observed),
the same happens with `stay() forMax Duration.Inf`. However `stay() forMax
10.minutes` did override the 5seconds timeout...

I think this is a bug and we should investigate in depth - would you mind
opening an issue on http://github.com/akka/akka/issues?
If you'd like to a PR fixing it would be even more awesome! :-)
Thanks a lot in advance!

-- Konrad

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 10:38 AM, folex <0xd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sealed trait State
> import scala.concurrent.duration._
> import akka.actor._
>
> sealed trait Data
> case object Initial extends State
> case object Waiting extends State
> case object Empty extends Data
>
> class FSMActor extends LoggingFSM[State, Data] {
>       startWith(Initial, Empty)
>
>       when(Initial) {
>         case Event("Wait", _) => goto(Waiting)
>       }
>
>       when(Waiting, stateTimeout = 5.seconds) {
>         case Event("Message", _) => println(self.path.name + " got
> message")
>         stay() forMax (Duration.Inf)
>
>         case Event(StateTimeout, _) => println(self.path.name + " got
> StateTimeout :("); stay()
>       }
> }
>
> val system = ActorSystem("system")
> val fsm = system.actorOf(Props(new FSMActor), "fsm")
> fsm ! "Wait"
> fsm ! "Message"
>

> (code on lpaste: http://lpaste.net/130078)
>
> But actor keeps receiving StateTimeout messages
>
> I'm using 2.4-SNAPSHOT, and before Apr 02 update, StateTimeout wasn't
> fired even without `forMax` in stay() clause.
>
> Maybe the problem lays in my understanding of stateTimeout argument?
> Should I use setStateTimeout or something?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Akka Team
Typesafe - Reactive apps on the JVM
Blog: letitcrash.com