I have some logs of this happening to me as well. I'm running on EC2 in
us-east-1. I've got nginx and elb in front of these akka-http instances.
Here's a few stack traces from the instances as well as nginx access logs.

https://gist.github.com/SpicyMonadz/b844ce4503e145fda7ee

These requests aren't killing my jvm instances fyi. I'm on akka-http-* 1.0

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Viktor Klang <viktor.kl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you have a copy of the actual HTTP request that we could use as a
> regression test?
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Ernesto Menéndez <pya...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I received the same request several times when I was hosting my service
>> at DigitalOcean using akka-http RC4. I had to restart the service each time.
>>
>> Now that I moved my service to another provider and updated to akka-http
>> 1.0, I still haven't got this kind of request or maybe I just haven't
>> noticed as It has been working fine for a couple of hours.  I'll let you
>> know if I see the problem again.
>>

>> On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 9:53:47 AM UTC-6, Nicolau Werneck wrote:
>>>
>>> I am working on this pet project of mine, and I had an HTTP service
>>> built with akka-http on-line. The other day I found out it was unavailable,
>>> and when I checked in the logs it appears I was a victim of this attack:
>>>
>>> http://www.skepticism.us/2015/05/13/
>>>
>>> I lost the error message, but it was pretty clear that the described
>>> request dropped my server, and the problem was the absence of the `Host`
>>> header.
>>>
>>> Now, isn't this something akka-http, or any HTTP server or framework,
>>> should be robust to? Is there anything I should or could have done as a
>>> user to prevent this problem, or should I be filing a bug report? Also,
>>> what is a proper way to keep the service running? I was just calling sbt
>>> from the command line, really experimental, I know there are better ways
>>> out there but I don't know where to start.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>     ++nic
>>>
>>  --

> Cheers,
> √

Adam Shannon | Software Engineer | Banno | Jack Henry
206 6th Ave Suite 1020 | Des Moines, IA 50309 | Cell: 515.867.8337