Before using ab I was stressing the app with Gatling which does not reuse
connections between users. In order to simplify my demonstration I switched
to ab without keepalive to keep the same scenario. I will have a look to
wrk.

Please do remember to benchmark not the same box on which you're running
the load generator by the way... Otherwise you're competing for resources
between benchmark runner and benchmarked app ;-)

If I understand correctly the end of your answer, the use case which
consist to open many tcp connections at the same time is currently not
optimised by akka-http materialization and this is what I observe on my
system when I reach a limit of around 1200 opening sockets/s, is that right
?

Yeah, most likely. Though honestly that's plenty anyway for most apps –
connections are expensive and are kept around in polls by all known-to-me
serious clients (including browsers, http client libraries etc).

-- Konrad