Hi guys. We are migrating out application to new version of akka (2.4 ->
2.5) and among other the is a new version of remoting available.
Before switch from netty to artery we decided to compare them.

I tested them with three types of message sizes: 100 bytes, 1000 bytes,
10000bytes with different values of idle-cpu-level
For the 100 bytes message artery showed the higher throughput (up to 26%),
but for the rest the netty looks better: +40% for 1k message and +60% for
10k message
The test application was run on two AWS micro instances in different
regions.

The application has two modules sender & receiver with 16 remote actors
spawned by sender on receiver node. The finished message transaction the
one in which payload delivered to receiver and message id turned back to
sender.

Some info about measurement method:
The tests implemented as a series of messaging batches. Each batch
consisted of 1000 message transmissions of K bytes (per message).
The execution sequence:
- warn up the system with 50 batches of 100 bytes message
- measure average millis for 100 batches of 100 bytes message
- measure average millis for 50 batches of 1000 bytes message
- measure average millis for 15 batches of 10000 bytes message

Is it expected results?

idle-cpu-level is represented as Artery X

AWS micro instances (singapore ↔ frankfurt)
messages / bytes per message Artery 1 Artery 3 Artery 5 Artery 7 Artery 9
Artery
10 Netty
1k / 100 441 400 416 445 466 969 543
1k / 1k 1655 1671 1674 1790 1755 3728 1217
1k / 10k 14005 15237 19142 19463 20833 37539 8565