What is the unit of the values in the table, e.g. 416? I guess it's
milliseconds?

That doesn't match our tests
<https://github.com/akka/akka/blob/master/akka-remote-tests/src/multi-jvm/scala/akka/remote/artery/MaxThroughputSpec.scala>
at all. We have measured 800k msg/s for the 100 byte payload.

I'd recommend that you use something bigger than micro instances.
Corresponding to 4 cores at least. I don't know how much the far apart
regions matters, we have only tried in same zone.

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 11:42 AM, 'Kostiantyn Gorustovych' via Akka User
List <akka-user@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hi guys. We are migrating our application from akka 2.4 to 2.5 and among
> other there is new remoting available.
> The throughput Before switching from netty to artery we decided to compare
> them.
>
> So I created the app with two modules: sender & receiver with 16 remote
> actors spawned by sender on receiver side.
> The finished transmission is that one in which the payload delivered to
> receiver and message id returned to sender.
>
> The tests implemented as a series of messaging batches. Each batch
> consisted of 1000 message transmissions of K bytes (per message).
> I tested it with messages of 100 byte, 1000 byte, 10000 byte with
> different idle-cpu-level.
> With 100 byte message the artery's throughput looks better than netty's
> (up to 26%), but for the rest it seems that netty beat artery (40% for 1k
> message and 60% for 10k message).
>
> Some info about test execution:
> - warm up the system with 50 batches of 100 bytes messages;
> - measure the average for 100 batches of 100 bytes messages;
> - measure the average for 50 batches of 1000 bytes messages;
> - measure the average for 115 batches of 10000 bytes messages;
>
> I tested it on AWS micro instances in different regions.
>
> Is it expected results?
>
> idle-cpu-level is represented as Artery X, e.g. Artery 1
> AWS micro instances (singapore ↔ frankfurt)
> messages / bytes per message Artery 1 Artery 3 Artery 5 Artery 7 Artery 9
> Artery
> 10 Netty
> 1k / 100 441 400 416 445 466 969 543
> 1k / 1k 1655 1671 1674 1790 1755 3728 1217
> 1k / 10k 14005 15237 19142 19463 20833 37539 8565

> current/additional/faq.html

Patrik Nordwall
Akka Tech Lead
Lightbend <http://www.lightbend.com/> -  Reactive apps on the JVM