Have you read the error handling section
<http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/current/java/stream/stream-customize.html> of
the documentation?

You either need to use a SupervisionStrategy when creating your
ActorMaterializer. Or you need to use recover. Otherwise you will just have
the flow terminate without any indication of why. Either of these
approaches should allow you to at least log the errors and potentially
allow you to change the default behaviour of the flow. As I think your are
using custom GraphStages, note that by default they will not use the
SupervisionStrategy so recover may be the better approach.

Julian