I'm not sure I see the problem.  Each one is persisting its *own* state --
its parent is pretty much irrelevant.  When one goes down, you bring it
back up (theoretically to the same state again) when you need it.

Mind, I use Persistence more or less exclusively in conjunction with
Sharding, so the down/up thing is pretty much transparent -- it is *normal*
(indeed, deliberate) for these Actors to be taken down when they go idle,
and they simply spring back to life again when they are next accessed.
Since each one returns to its most recent state, there isn't much of a
consistency issue.  (Save when messages have gone astray, and that is
something you *always* have to be prepared for in Akka -- you should always
design around the assumption of unreliable delivery.)