It COULD BE a knapsack problem, but it SHOULDN'T be a knapsack problem.
Not with a full database!

As to my intelligence - I'm no genius. Despite all claims to the
contrary, few are. Fortunately, you don't have to be a genius to code
up a database. Just kinda bright and willing to work. I didn't mean the
"quite mad" in the derogatory way that you took it. It's just a
mis-step.

Databases are organized so that this kind of problem, which is common,
gets chewed up and spit out, with ALL the possible answers (no misses),
and no combinatorial nightmare, either.

When you get more experience with database techniques, you'll see what
I'm talking about.

Lots of programming tricks are used, with lots of indicies.

No "knapsacks", though, too inefficient and slow, and not needed.
That's why they use a bunch of little tricks, in the first place.

I'm not a database programmer, but I did code up a little
non-relational database, just for fun. In doing that, I was struck by
the immense power of using indexed ranges on the data. My little
program doesn't use these (not needed), but  you don't have to be hit
by the on-coming train to know that the train is a very powerful thing,
indeed.

Adak