On 3/6/06, adak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> YOU ARE PERFECTLY CORRECT - BUT ONLY FOR THE  ** FIRST ** indexing of
> the record. After the record has been properly indexed, the queries are
> MUCH FASTER than ANY algorithmic solution - because in a sense, the
> answer is already available - it's "precomputed", almost.

well, don't teach us what does precomputation mean, we talked about
this argument many times in the last few weeks in this list ...:)

Anyway, my point was another one:
the problem is a 0-1 Knapsack, if you say: "ok, using
indices we can do precomputations" it's ok for me, precompute
everything you want with indices, partial tables, views, materialized
views and-so-on, but the problem is and will always be a
0-1 knapsack, I just wanted to stress on this: someone said
"it's a knapsack" and you answered: "no, mad boy, you have indices
to use as precomputation !" ... it doesn't make any sense ...

IMHO the problem is a 0-1 knapsack, the implementation of
the specific solution of this problem using a database requires
more and more details: table structures, available indices,
views and materialized views and-so-on, obviously if there are
indices to use to directly access one or a set of records
faster than using sequential scan; the problem solver MUST
use these instruments, but this doesn't change the problem
behind: this is a 0-1 knapsack problem, solve it in the way you
prefer, but it still remains the very same problem with his own
complexity long discussed in literature.

Greetings.

Mattia Merzi.