You've hit the problem right on the head, kensuke.

I believe he wants to give each viewer not just a random display from
the database, but a display that won't be repeated, as well.

Checking the random numbers off against a boolean array, would give him
what he wants, (together with your suggestion, I believe.

So if he's already shown the pic associated with #2 in the database,
that pic will never be shown in the future "random" pics, to that
viewer, on that visit to the website.

Somewhat of a guess, given the scant info, but I believe that's what he
wants.

Adak