> I know HOW the algorithms work, but I can't get my head around the
> scientific argument for WHY they work. I don't need a mathematical
> proof, just a short (if possible) argument.

A* simply works using relaxation. You relax the currently explored
paths to find an upper bound on that path. The length of that path
cannot be less than this value.

I don't think you need to prove the correctness of A* on its own. You
need to prove that the heuristic (relaxation) that you are using to
compute the upper bound is admissible. (in your case, a straight line)