Hi,

This can be mathematically proved if the heuristic you use is less than
or equal to the actual cost ( the straight line heuristic is a natural
example ).

The proof is as follows : You will maintain a list of nodes with their
costs. You will goal - test the least cost node. If it is not a goal
then you will list all its nodes and rearrange the list by cost. Now
suppose you find a goal G1 , we have to prove there could have not been
any goal G2 which has a lower total cost. This is trivially true from
our initial condition that we are underestimating goal costs.
Actual cost (G2) < Actual cost (G1)
=> heuristic cost (G2) < Actual cost (G1)
=> G2 would have been expanded first.