#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void insert_sort(int a[],int n);

#define INDEX 10

int main()
{
   int i;
       int array[INDEX] = {6,4,2,5,1,2,8,3,7,9};

       printf("Before the sort:\n");

       for(i=0;i<INDEX;i++)
               printf("%d", array[i]);
               printf("\n");

       insert_sort(array,INDEX);
       printf("After the sort:\n");

       for(i=0;i<INDEX;i++)
        printf("%d \n", array[i]);

   return 0;

}

void insert_sort(int a[],int n)
{
       int j, p;
       int tmp;

       for(p = 1; p < n; p++)
       {
               tmp = a[p];
               for(j = p; j > 0 && a[j-1] > tmp; j--)
                        a[j] = a[j-1];
               a[j] = tmp;

1. Put semicolon after function declaration.
void insert_sort(int a[],int n);
2. You forgot do define INDEX at the beginning
#define INDEX 10
3. in C, you can not declare variables inside for loop
So "for(int i=0;i<INDEX;i++)" is wrong.
4. Why don't you use gcc?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/cpp$ gcc inssort.c
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/cpp$ ./a.out