In the USA currently there is a television commercial in which people
bring in weird stuff [like a giant purple walrus toy] and have paint
made to that 'exact' color.

Many of us have gone to Home Depot/Lowes/whatever with a piece of trim
and had paint made that 'matches'.

How does this work?

I assume there is a 'scanner' [some sort of filtered photoelectric
eye] that outputs an RGB triple to a software routine that then
produces a paint 'formula' that hardwarestoreguy can mix up.

But how do you get from RGB to the paint formula?  Can you go from a
paint formula to RGB? Does anybody know where I can find a reference
book/article on this? I've looked and come up empty.

TIA
-MF