I can't get how will u manipulate the trie DS. u'll have to look back and
see if the word already exists in the list. this will be an extra overhead.

I have thought of another algorithm. Here is an abstract explanation:

The node used will be like this
struct Word {
.........char *_word;
.........int _freq;
.........Word *Next;
}

class Category {
........Word *List;
.....   bool addWord(char *word); // if the word exists in the list, then
increment the freqency, else add the word
........bool doesExist(word);
}

public void main (String[] args)
{
.... Category _cat[26];
.....while (!EOF()) {
............char *c = getNextWord();
............_cat[c[0].toInt()-97].addWord(c);
}

Categorize the words into 26 categories depending on the initial character;
Depending on the initial character, traverse the list of corresponding
category
If the word exists, then increment the counter of that word
else add the word in the list of that category.