On 12 April 2010 23:57, souri datta <souri.isthe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why only median of median?
>
> @Souri: It's because using order statistics (randomized select) , you have
> an expected time  complexity of theta(n) .

But the upper bound is n^2 even to find the smallest element. So to ensure
selection of no.s in linear time in the worst case, we use medians of
medians.

@ Rohit: Your BST algo is good but not the best.

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Rohit Saraf
> <rohit.kumar.sa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Find the kth element using order statistics - O(n)  <>  As far as i know
>> , u will have to use median of medians selection algorithm for this...
>> Rest is fine..

>> Rohit Saraf
>> Second Year Undergraduate,
>> Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
>> IIT Bombay
>> http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~rohitfeb14<http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/%7Erohitfeb14>
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:20 PM, souri datta <souri.isthe...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Steps:
>>> 1. Find the kth element using order statistics - O(n)
>>> 2. In one pass over the array, get all the elems less than the kth